This is your very first post. Click the Edit link to modify or delete it, or start a new post. If you like, use this post to tell readers why you started this blog and what you plan to do with it.
The inspiring true story of Rachel Joy Scott
and the Columbine High School Shooting
Rachel’s hope was to impact as many lives as she could for Jesus.
Although Rachel, was killed on April 20, 1999 at the age of 17 years old, her story and her passion for Jesus lives on through her amazing legacy and strong faith in the Lord.
I personally remember this shooting like it was yesterday, because my daughter had just celebrated her 1st Birthday on April 15th. My heart broke, as a young mom looking into the eyes of my precious daughter and thinking … “I can’t even imagine.”
My heart & prayers went out to the parents of the teenagers who were killed that day at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado. Two teens killed 13 people and wounding more than 20 others before turning their guns on themselves and committing suicide.
The crime was the worst high school shooting in U.S. history
Rachel left us a precious gift that was discovered after her death in her journals and writings. It was a journey of a Christian teen that loved the Lord but struggled every day to live out her faith among her peers. She wrote in brutal honesty about her failures, misgivings and insecurities of living in a world that mocked faith. The isolation of thinking that she was alone in her pursuit to be a light in a dark world and changing the world to one of starting a chain reaction of love and compassion.
Her writings were very prophetic to the point of leaving a drawing from that very morning of depicting 13 tears of one teacher and 12 students being killed on that fateful day. One day prior to the exact date of April 20th, in 1998 she wrote: “If I have to sacrifice everything to be with my best friend Jesus, I will — I will take it.” One year later she kept that vow as she was mocked and challenged for her faith facing her shooters with a gun to her head.
Multiple times Rachel wrote of an early death. It was as if the Lord was preparing her. On May 2nd of 1998 she wrote, “This will be my last year Lord, I have gotten what I can.” In the fall of the school years of 98-99 one of her writings included the words of “halls of a tragedy” as she described what she felt at Columbine High School. Two weeks before her death once again she mentions death, saying, “It isn’t suicide, I consider it homicide. The world you have created has led to my death.”
Sharing Rachel’s life and death has impacted millions of lives. Teens that felt hopeless, discouraged and even contemplated suicide have been given new hope and purpose to live life unashamed of their convictions, dreams and goals.
Her story has resulted in several books and now a movie called “I’m Not Ashamed.”
Rachel’s hope and desire was to share Jesus … although she has gone to heaven to be with Him. Her life is still speaking volumes for Jesus … let her legacy be an encouragement to all to share Jesus … be the light in this very dark world. Never been afraid to speak the truth about Our Lord and Savior
I’d love to close with a song by the Newsboys called “Guilty”
I encourage you to click here and go and listen to it !! I believe it will inspire you !
This was the theme song from the movie, Gods Not Dead 2 which if you have not seen yet ~ I highly recommend you do : )
When did it become breaking a rule
To say your name out loud in school
When your names the only one that sets us free
When did it become incorrect
To speak the truth about life and death
When your life gave us all eternity
Even if it gets me convicted
I’ll be on my knees with my hands lifted
If serving you’s against the law of man
If living out my faith in you is banned
Then I’ll stand right before the jury
If saying I believe is out of line
If I’m judged cause I’m gonna give my life
To show the world the love that fills me
Then I want to be Guilty
I’ll rise up and honor you
I’ll testify to all the good you do
Cause your Grace and your Mercy have overtaken me
So even if it gets me convicted
I’ll be on my knees with my hands lifted
If serving you’s against the law of man
If living out my faith in you is banned
Then I’ll stand right before the jury
If saying I believe is out of line
If I’m judged cause I’m gonna give my life
To show the world the love that fills me
Then I want to be Guilty by association
Guilty of being a voice proclaiming Your ways
I’ll pay the price to be your light
If serving you’s against the law of man
If living out my faith in you is banned
Then I’ll stand right before the jury
If saying I believe is out of line
If I’m judged cause I’m gonna give my life
To show the world the love that fills me
Then I want to be Guilty by association
Guilty of being a voice proclaiming Your ways
I’ll pay the price to be your light
Oh I want to be Guilty
Since I began this series on Apologetics I have beenasked questions that I have not previously researched which is so EXCITIG for me because I love learning!
Subsequently, I admit wholeheartedly that I am not a Science or Math person. I teach AP High School Classes such as English, Psychology, Sociology, History, Philosophy, World Religion, ….
Science is fascinating but it literally “blows my mind” LOL and math … let’s just say my husband does our monthly finances … LOL
Therefore when asked about Carbon 14 dating ~ I decided to research reputable sources such as Answers in Genesis
- For those of you like myself who read science and think you’ve just read Greek … here is the summary of this article. Carbon dating has concluded and rebuked evolutionists statements for an old earth – Reputable Scientists listed in this article show empirically that based on carbon dating – this earth is young and it also supports a worldwide flood ( Noah) which I actually have another blog coming soon solely on The Worldwide Flood Evidence – this is cool even if you are not really into science ~ just looking at the evidence it will fascinate you … I promise !!
Scientists use a technique called radiometric dating to estimate the ages of rocks, fossils, and the earth. Many people have been led to believe that radiometric dating methods have proved the earth to be billions of years old. This has caused many in the church to reevaluate the biblical creation account, specifically the meaning of the word “day” in Genesis 1. With our focus on one particular form of radiometric dating—carbon dating—we will see that carbon dating strongly supports a young earth. Note that, contrary to a popular misconception, carbon dating is not used to date rocks at millions of years old.
Before we get into the details of how radiometric dating methods are used, we need to review some preliminary concepts from chemistry. Recall that atoms are the basic building blocks of matter. Atoms are made up of much smaller particles called protons, neutrons, and electrons. Protons and neutrons make up the center (nucleus) of the atom, and electrons form shells around the nucleus.
The number of protons in the nucleus of an atom determines the element. For example, all carbon atoms have 6 protons, all atoms of nitrogen have 7 protons, and all oxygen atoms have 8 protons. The number of neutrons in the nucleus can vary in any given type of atom. So, a carbon atom might have six neutrons, or seven, or possibly eight—but it would always have six protons. An “isotope” is any of several different forms of an element, each having different numbers of neutrons. The illustration below shows the three isotopes of carbon.
Some isotopes of certain elements are unstable; they can spontaneously change into another kind of atom in a process called “radioactive decay.” Since this process presently happens at a known measured rate, scientists attempt to use it like a “clock” to tell how long ago a rock or fossil formed. There are two main applications for radiometric dating. One is for potentially dating fossils (once-living things) using carbon-14 dating, and the other is for dating rocks and the age of the earth using uranium, potassium and other radioactive atoms.
The atomic number corresponds to the number of protons in an atom. Atomic mass is a combination of the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus. (The electrons are so much lighter that they do not contribute significantly to the mass of an atom.)
Carbon-14 (14C), also referred to as radiocarbon, is claimed to be a reliable dating method for determining the age of fossils up to 50,000 to 60,000 years. If this claim is true, the biblical account of a young earth (about 6,000 years) is in question, since 14C dates of tens of thousands of years are common.1
When a scientist’s interpretation of data does not match the clear meaning of the text in the Bible, we should never reinterpret the Bible. God knows just what He meant to say, and His understanding of science is infallible, whereas ours is fallible. So we should never think it necessary to modify His Word. Genesis 1 defines the days of creation to be literal days (a number with the word “day” always means a normal day in the Old Testament, and the phrase “evening and morning” further defines the days as literal days). Since the Bible is the inspired Word of God, we should examine the validity of the standard interpretation of 14C dating by asking several questions:
- Is the explanation of the data derived from empirical, observational science, or an interpretation of past events (historical science)?
- Are there any assumptions involved in the dating method?
- Are the dates provided by 14C dating consistent with what we observe?
- Do all scientists accept the 14C dating method as reliable and accurate?
All radiometric dating methods use scientific procedures in the present to interpret what has happened in the past. The procedures used are not necessarily in question. The interpretation of past events is in question. The secular (evolutionary) worldview interprets the universe and world to be billions of years old. The Bible teaches a young universe and earth. Which worldview does science support? Can carbon-14 dating help solve the mystery of which worldview is more accurate?
The use of carbon-14 dating is often misunderstood. Carbon-14 is mostly used to date once-living things (organic material). It cannot be used directly to date rocks; however, it can potentially be used to put time constraints on some inorganic material such as diamonds (diamonds could contain carbon-14). Because of the rapid rate of decay of 14C, it can only give dates in the thousands-of-year range and not millions.
There are three different naturally occurring varieties (isotopes) of carbon: 12C, 13C, and 14C.
Carbon-14 is used for dating because it is unstable (radioactive), whereas 12C and 13C are stable. Radioactive means that 14C will decay (emit radiation) over time and become a different element. During this process (called “beta decay”) a neutron in the 14C atom will be converted into a proton. By losing one neutron and gaining one proton, 14C is changed into nitrogen-14 (14N = 7 protons and 7 neutrons).
If 14C is constantly decaying, will the earth eventually run out of 14C? The answer is no. Carbon-14 is constantly being added to the atmosphere. Cosmic rays from outer space, which contain high levels of energy, bombard the earth’s upper atmosphere. These cosmic rays collide with atoms in the atmosphere and can cause them to come apart. Neutrons that come from these fragmented atoms collide with 14N atoms (the atmosphere is made mostly of nitrogen and oxygen) and convert them into 14C atoms (the neutron is accepted and a proton is ejected from the nucleus).
Once 14C is produced, it combines with oxygen in the atmosphere (12C behaves like 14C and also combines with oxygen) to form carbon dioxide (CO2). Because CO2 gets incorporated into plants (which means the food we eat contains 14C and 12C), all living things should have the same ratio of 14C and 12C in them as in the air we breathe.
How the Carbon-14 Dating Process Works
Once a living thing dies, the dating process begins. As long as an organism is alive it will continue to take in 14C; however, when it dies, it will stop. Since 14C is radioactive (decays into 14N), the amount of 14C in a dead organism gets less and less over time. Therefore, part of the dating process involves measuring the amount of 14C that remains after some has been lost (decayed). Scientists now use a device called an “Accelerator Mass Spectrometer” (AMS) to determine the ratio of 14C to 12C, which increases the assumed accuracy to about 80,000 years. In order to actually do the dating, other things need to be known. Two such things include the following questions:
- How fast does 14C decay?
- What was the starting amount of 14C in the creature when it died?
The decay rate of radioactive elements is described in terms of half-life. The half-life of an atom is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to decay. The half-life of 14C is 5,730 years. For example, a jar starting with all 14C atoms at time zero will contain half 14C atoms and half 14N atoms at the end of 5,730 years (one half-life). At the end of 11,460 years (two half-lives) the jar will contain one-quarter 14C atoms and three-quarter 14N atoms.
Since the half-life of 14C is known (how fast it decays), the only part left to determine is the starting amount of 14C in a fossil. If scientists know the original amount of 14C in a creature when it died, they can measure the current amount and then calculate how many half-lives have passed.
Since no one was there to measure the amount of 14C when a creature died, scientists need to find a method to determine how much 14C has decayed. To do this, scientists use the main isotope of carbon, called carbon-12 (12C). Because 12C is a stable isotope of carbon, it will remain constant; however, the amount of 14C will decrease after a creature dies. All living things take in carbon (14C and 12C) from eating and breathing. Therefore, the ratio of 14C to 12C in living creatures will be the same as in the atmosphere. This ratio turns out to be about one 14C atom for every 1 trillion 12C atoms. Scientists can use this ratio to help determine the starting amount of 14C.
When an organism dies, this ratio (1 to 1 trillion) will begin to change. The amount of 12C will remain constant, but the amount of 14C will become less and less. The smaller the ratio, the longer the organism has been dead. The following illustration demonstrates how the age is estimated using this ratio.
|Percent 14C Remaining||Percent 12C Remaining||Ratio||Number of Half-Lives||Years Dead(Age of Fossil)|
|100||100||1 to 1T||0||0|
|50||100||1 to 2T||1||5,730|
|25||100||1 to 4T||2||11,460|
|12.5||100||1 to 8T||3||17,190|
|6.25||100||1 to 16T||4||22,920|
|3.125||100||1 to 32T||5||28,650|
T = Trillion
A Critical Assumption
A critical assumption used in carbon-14 dating has to do with this ratio. It is assumed that the ratio of 14C to 12C in the atmosphere has always been the same as it is today (1 to 1 trillion). If this assumption is true, then the AMS 14C dating method is valid up to about 80,000 years. Beyond this number, the instruments scientists use would not be able to detect enough remaining 14C to be useful in age estimates. This is a critical assumption in the dating process. If this assumption is not true, then the method will give incorrect dates. What could cause this ratio to change? If the production rate of 14C in the atmosphere is not equal to the removal rate (mostly through decay), this ratio will change. In other words, the amount of 14C being produced in the atmosphere must equal the amount being removed to be in a steady state (also called “equilibrium”). If this is not true, the ratio of 14C to 12C is not a constant, which would make knowing the starting amount of 14C in a specimen difficult or impossible to accurately determine.
Dr. Willard Libby, the founder of the carbon-14 dating method, assumed this ratio to be constant. His reasoning was based on a belief in evolution, which assumes the earth must be billions of years old. Assumptions in the scientific community are extremely important. If the starting assumption is false, all the calculations based on that assumption might be correct but still give a wrong conclusion.
In Dr. Libby’s original work, he noted that the atmosphere did not appear to be in equilibrium. This was a troubling idea for Dr. Libby since he believed the world was billions of years old and enough time had passed to achieve equilibrium. Dr. Libby’s calculations showed that if the earth started with no 14C in the atmosphere, it would take up to 30,000 years to build up to a steady state (equilibrium).
If the cosmic radiation has remained at its present intensity for 20,000 or 30,000 years, and if the carbon reservoir has not changed appreciably in this time, then there exists at the present time a complete balance between the rate of disintegration of radiocarbon atoms and the rate of assimilation of new radiocarbon atoms for all material in the life-cycle.2
Dr. Libby chose to ignore this discrepancy (nonequilibrium state), and he attributed it to experimental error. However, the discrepancy has turned out to be very real. The ratio of 14C /12C is not constant.
The Specific Production Rate (SPR) of C-14 is known to be 18.8 atoms per gram of total carbon per minute. The Specific Decay Rate (SDR) is known to be only 16.1 disintegrations per gram per minute.3
What does this mean? If it takes about 30,000 years to reach equilibrium and 14C is still out of equilibrium, then maybe the earth is not very old.
Magnetic Field of the Earth
Other factors can affect the production rate of 14C in the atmosphere. The earth has a magnetic field around it which helps protect us from harmful radiation from outer space. This magnetic field is decaying (getting weaker). The stronger the field is around the earth, the fewer the number of cosmic rays that are able to reach the atmosphere. This would result in a smaller production of 14C in the atmosphere in earth’s past.
The cause for the long term variation of the C-14 level is not known. The variation is certainly partially the result of a change in the cosmic ray production rate of radiocarbon. The cosmic-ray flux, and hence the production rate of C-14, is a function not only of the solar activity but also of the magnetic dipole moment of the Earth.4
Though complex, this history of the earth’s magnetic field agrees with Barnes’ basic hypothesis, that the field has always freely decayed…. The field has always been losing energy despite its variations, so it cannot be more than 10,000 years old.5
Earth’s magnetic field is fading. Today it is about 10 percent weaker than it was when German mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss started keeping tabs on it in 1845, scientists say.6
If the production rate of 14C in the atmosphere was less in the past, dates given using the carbon-14 method would incorrectly assume that more 14C had decayed out of a specimen than what has actually occurred. This would result in giving older dates than the true age.
What role might the Genesis Flood have played in the amount of carbon? The Flood would have buried large amounts of carbon from living organisms (plant and animal) to form today’s fossil fuels (coal, oil, etc.). The amount of fossil fuels indicates there must have been a vastly larger quantity of vegetation in existence prior to the Flood than exists today. This means that the biosphere just prior to the Flood might have had 500 times more carbon in living organisms than today. This would further dilute the amount of 14C and cause the 14C/12C ratio to be much smaller than today.
If that were the case, and this C-14 were distributed uniformly throughout the biosphere, and the total amount of biosphere C were, for example, 500 times that of today’s world, the resulting C-14/C-12 ratio would be 1/500 of today’s level….7
When the Flood is taken into account along with the decay of the magnetic field, it is reasonable to believe that the assumption of equilibrium is a false assumption.
Because of this false assumption, any age estimates using 14C prior to the Flood will give much older dates than the true age. Pre-Flood material would be dated at perhaps ten times the true age.
The RATE Group Findings
In 1997 an eight-year research project was started to investigate the age of the earth. The group was called the RATE group (Radioisotopes and the Age of The Earth). The team of scientists included:
- Larry Vardiman, PhD Atmospheric Science
- Russell Humphreys, PhD Physics
- Eugene Chaffin, PhD Physics
- John Baumgardner, PhD Geophysics
- Donald DeYoung, PhD Physics
- Steven Austin, PhD Geology
- Andrew Snelling, PhD Geology
- Steven Boyd, PhD Hebraic and Cognate Studies
All radiometric dating methods are based on assumptions about events that happened in the past. If the assumptions are accepted as true (as is typically done in the evolutionary dating processes), results can be biased toward a desired age. In the reported ages given in textbooks and other journals, these evolutionary assumptions have not been questioned, while results inconsistent with long ages have been censored.
*** When the assumptions were evaluated and shown faulty, the results supported the biblical account of a global Flood and young earth. Christians should not be afraid of radiometric dating methods. Carbon-14 dating is really the friend of Christians, and it supports a young earth.
Please forgive me … I have not posted in awhile but have not fallen off the face of the earth LOL 🙂 School started in August and I am teaching 5 high school AP classes and trying to juggle life …
I am still working on my my Apologetics Series and will be posting soon but when I read this awesome post I had to re-blog it !
It spoke volumes to me and I know you will be blessed by it too because as Christians we all go through those times in our lives that are difficult … Also you will be blessed to read her other blogs – she is a gifted writer and praises the Lord always !
Our Christian journey cannot be free of trials, we need trials to grow and to move out of our comfort zone into a place where we will start thinking outside the box we have fixed ourselves into. Now let us take the relationship we have with Christ as that between a student and a teacher […]
The age of the earth is a continued controversy in and outside of the church
For the first 18 centuries of church history, the almost universal belief of Christians was that God created the world in six literal days roughly 4,000 years before Christ and destroyed the world with a global Flood at the time of Noah.
But about 200 years ago some scientists developed new theories of earth history, which proposed that the earth and universe are millions of years old. Over the past 200 years Christian leaders have made various attempts to fit the millions of years into the Bible. These include the day-age view, gap theory, local flood view, framework hypothesis, theistic evolution, and progressive creation.
A growing number of Christians (now called young-earth creationists), including many scientists, hold to the traditional view, believing it to be the only view that is truly faithful to Scripture and that fits the scientific evidence far better than the reigning old-earth evolutionary theory.
Many Christians say that the age of the earth is an unimportant and divisive side issue that hinders the proclamation of the gospel
I want to introduce you to some of the reasons we think that Christians cannot accept the millions of years without doing great damage to the church and her witness in the world.
- The Bible clearly teaches that God created in six literal, 24-hour days a few thousand years ago. The Hebrew word for day in Genesis 1 is yom. In the vast majority of its uses in the Old Testament it means a literal day; and where it doesn’t, the context makes this clear.
- The context of Genesis 1 clearly shows that the days of creation were literal days. First, yom is defined the first time it is used in the Bible (Genesis 1:4–5) in its two literal senses: the light portion of the light/dark cycle and the whole light/dark cycle. Second, yom is used with “evening” and “morning.” Everywhere these two words are used in the Old Testament, either together or separately and with or without yom in the context, they always mean a literal evening or morning of a literal day. Third, yom is modified with a number: one day, second day, third day, etc., which everywhere else in the Old Testament indicates literal days. Fourth, yom is defined literally in Genesis 1:14 in relation to the heavenly bodies.
If yom is day then God meant day – thus there are plenty of other Hebrew words to describe longer periods o ftime –
For example in Hebrew:
- Chadash means month ~
- Shabua – means a week
- Shanah – means year
- The genealogies of Genesis 5 and 11 make it clear that the creation days happened only about 6,000 years ago. It is transparent from the genealogies of Genesis 5 and 11 (which give very detailed chronological information, unlike the clearly abbreviated genealogy in Matthew 1 and other chronological information in the Bible that the Creation Week took place only about 6,000 years ago.
- Exodus 20:9–11 blocks all attempts to fit millions of years into Genesis 1. “Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and made it holy” (Exodus 20:9-11). This passage gives the reason for God’s command to Israel to work six days and then take a sabbath rest. Yom is used in both parts of the commandment. If God meant that the Jews were to work six days because He created over six long periods of time, He could have said that using one of three indefinite Hebrew time words. He chose the only word that means a literal day, and the Jews understood it literally (until the idea of millions of years developed in the early nineteenth century). For this reason, the day-age view or framework hypothesis must be rejected. The gap theory or any other attempt to put millions of years before the six days are also false because God says that in six days He made the heaven and the earth and the sea and all that is in them. So He made everything in those six literal days and nothing before the first day.
- Noah’s Flood washes away millions of years. The evidence in Genesis 6–9 for a global catastrophic flood is overwhelming. For example, the Flood was intended to destroy not only all sinful people but also all land animals and birds and the surface of the earth, which only a global flood could accomplish. The Ark’s purpose was to save two of every kind of land animal and bird (and seven of some) to repopulate the earth after the Flood. The Ark was totally unnecessary if the Flood was only local. People, animals, and birds could have migrated out of the flood zone before it occurred, or the zone could have been populated from creatures outside the area after the Flood. The catastrophic nature of the Flood is seen in the nonstop rain for at least 40 days, which would have produced massive erosion, mud slides, hurricanes, etc. The Hebrew words translated “the fountains of the great deep burst open” (Genesis 7:11) clearly point to tectonic rupturing of the earth’s surface in many places for 150 days, resulting in volcanoes, earthquakes, and tsunamis. Noah’s Flood would produce exactly the kind of complex geological record we see worldwide today: thousands of feet of sediments clearly deposited by water and later hardened into rock and containing billions of fossils. If the year-long Flood is responsible for most of the rock layers and fossils, then those rocks and fossils cannot represent the history of the earth over millions of years, as evolutionists claim.
- Jesus supported a young-earth ~ . Jesus consistently treated the miracle accounts of the Old Testament as straightforward, truthful, historical accounts (e.g., creation of Adam, Noah and the Flood, Lot and his wife in Sodom, Moses and the manna, and Jonah in the fish). He continually affirmed the authority of Scripture over men’s ideas and traditions (Matthew 15:1–9). In Mark 10:6 we have the clearest (but not the only) statement showing that Jesus was a young-earth creationist. He teaches that Adam and Eve were made at the “beginning of creation,” not billions of years after the beginning, as would be the case if the universe were really billions of years old. So, if Jesus was a young-earth creationist, then how can His faithful followers have any other view?
- Belief in millions of years undermines the Bible’s teaching on death and on the character of God. Genesis 1 says six times that God called the creation “good,” and when He finished creation on Day 6, He called everything “very good.” Man and animals and birds were originally vegetarian ( 1:29–30, plants are not “living creatures,” as people and animals are, according to Scripture). But Adam and Eve sinned, resulting in the judgment of God on the whole creation. Instantly Adam and Eve died spiritually, and after God’s curse they began to die physically. The serpent and Eve were changed physically and the ground itself was cursed (Genesis 3:14–19). The whole creation now groans in bondage to corruption, waiting for the final redemption of Christians (Romans 8:19–25) when we will see the restoration of all things (Acts 3:21, Colossians 1:20) to a state similar to the pre-Fall world, when there will be no more carnivorous behavior (Isaiah11:6–9) and no disease, suffering, or death (Revelation 21:3–5) because there will be no more Curse (Revelation 22:3). To accept millions of years of animal death before the creation and Fall of man contradicts and destroys the Bible’s teaching on death and the full redemptive work of Christ. It also makes God into a bumbling, cruel creator who uses (or can’t prevent) disease, natural disasters, and extinctions to mar His creative work, without any moral cause, but still calls it all “very good.”
- The idea of millions of years did not come from the scientific facts. This idea of long ages was developed by deistic and atheistic geologists in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. These men used antibiblical philosophical and religious assumptions to interpret the geological observations in a way that plainly contradicted the biblical account of creation, the Flood, and the age of the earth. Most church leaders and scholars quickly compromised using the gap theory, day-age view, local flood view, etc. to try to fit “deep time” into the Bible. But they did not understand the geological arguments, and they did not defend their views by careful Bible study. The “deep time” idea flows out of naturalistic assumptions, not scientific observations.
- Radiometric dating methods do not prove millions of years. Radiometric dating was not developed until the early twentieth century, by which time virtually the whole world had already accepted the millions of years. For many years creation scientists have cited numerous examples in the published scientific literature of these dating methods clearly giving erroneous dates (e.g., a date of millions of years for lava flows that occurred in the past few hundred years or even decades). In recent years creationists in the RATE project have done experimental, theoretical, and field research to uncover more such evidence (e.g., diamonds and coal, which the evolutionists say are millions of years old, were dated by carbon-14 to be only thousands of years old) and to show that decay rates were orders of magnitude faster in the past, which shrinks the millions of years to thousands of years, confirming the Bible.1
WHAT IS AT STAKE HERE IS THE AUTHORITY OF SCRIPTURE, THE CHARACTER OF GOD, THE DOCTRINE OF DEATH, AND THE VERY FOUNDATION OF THE GOSPEL.
These are just some of the reasons why we believe that the Bible is giving us the true history of the world. God’s Word must be the final authority on all matters about which it speaks—not just the moral and spiritual matters, but also its teachings that bear on history, archaeology, and science.
What is at stake here is the authority of Scripture, the character of God, the doctrine of death, and the very foundation of the gospel. If the early chapters of Genesis are not true literal history, then faith in the rest of the Bible is undermined, including its teaching about salvation and morality.
If you have a question…
God has an answer …
|Little children love reading about dinosaurs and there are lots of books about them. Subsequently, movies like “Jurassic Park” stimulated the interest of many regarding dinosaurs.
As a result, increasing numbers of people have thought, “Since we have found all these fossils and dinosaur bones, we know dinosaurs existed. How come they are not mentioned in the Bible?”
Subsequently, I talked to an individual at my old church who has her PhD in Paleontology and she was struggling with believing in God as she was taught the earth evolved a billion years ago and she studied fossils of dinosaurs and other animals … In fact a lot of people have questions about dinosaurs.
My husband was sharing the gospel with someone at his work years ago and came home one night and said, “OK what about dinosaurs?”
Again if you have a question … God has the answer !!!
Some Christian Apologists do not believe dinosaurs are relevant, however I personally believe if ANYTHING is going to hinder someone accepting Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord then it is VERY relevant !!! There is not a question anyone can ask that God can’t answer !!
Yes !!! Dinosaurs are mentioned in the Bible, and I will prove it by doing the following three things:
Examining the Bible’s text and the related scientific facts.
Explaining the accuracy of the Bible.
Exploring what we are taught in school and through the media.
The Bible’s Text
The Bible refers to many the common animals we know today. The list includes lions, wolves, bears, sheep, cattle and dogs along with various kinds of birds, rodents, reptiles, and insects. What is interesting is that this extensive list includes three animals that we no longer recognize. These three are (in the original Hebrew language) tanniyn, b@hemowth (yes, it’s spelled correctly—at least as close as we can get in Roman characters), and livyathan.
Although we alter the spelling of behemoth and Leviathan slightly, we still use those same words in bibles today.
However, tanniyn is always translated into another word when we write it in English. Tanniyn occurs 28 times in the Bible and is normally translated “dragon.” It is also translated “serpent,” “sea monster,” “dinosaur,” “great creature,” and “reptile.” Behemoth and Leviathan are relatively specific creatures, perhaps each was a single kind of animal.
Tanniyn is a more general term, and it can be thought of as the original version of the word “dinosaur.”
The reason the word dinosaur is NOT in the Bible is because it was coined in 1841, more than three thousand years after the Bible first referred to “Tanniyn.”
|How we got these new names is interesting. In 1822, Mary Ann Mantell became the first person to discover and correctly identify a strange bone as part of a large, unknown reptile. Her husband, Dr. Gideon Mantell, later named this creature an “Iguanodon.” From that time forward, these forgotten animals were given names chosen by the people who rediscovered them. Of course, the Bible, written between approximately 1450 BC and 95 AD, does not include any of these names.
Reading the Bible carefully, you will realize that no living creature matches the descriptions of behemoth and Leviathan. However, if you grab your child’s dinosaur book, you will notice several possible matches for each one. Let’s examine those.
Behemoth has the following attributes according to Job 40:15-24
• It “eats grass like an ox.”• It “moves his tail like a cedar.” (In Hebrew, this literally reads, “he lets hang his tail like a cedar.”)
• Its “bones are like beams of bronze,
• His ribs like bars of iron.”
• “He is the first of the ways of God.”
• “He lies under the lotus trees,
• In a covert of reeds and marsh.”
Some bibles and study bibles will translate the word “behemoth” as “elephant” or “hippopotamus.” Others will put a note at the edge or bottom of the page, stating that behemoth was probably an elephant or a hippopotamus.
Although an elephant or hippopotamus can eat grass (or lie in a covert of reeds and marsh), neither an elephant or a hippopotamus has a “tail like a cedar” (that is, a tail like a large, tapered tree trunk). I
We would expect behemoth to be a large land animal whose bones are like beams of bronze and so forth, so whatever a behemoth is, it is large. A key phrase is “He is the first of the ways of God.” This phrase in the original Hebrew implied that behemoth was the biggest animal created. Although an elephant or a hippopotamus are big, they are less than one-tenth the size of a Brachiosaurus, the largest (complete) dinosaur ever discovered. A Brachiosaurus could therefore easily be described as “the first of the ways of God.”
Comparing all this information to the description in your kid’s dinosaur book, you may come to the conclusion that “behemoth” is not a normal animal, it is a dinosaur—the brachiosaurus.
Leviathan has the following attributes according to Job chapter 41, Psalm 104:25,26 and Isaiah 27:1. This is only a partial listing—just enough to make the point.
• “No one is so fierce that he would dare stir him up.”
• “Who can open the doors of his face, with his terrible teeth all around?”
• “His rows of scales are his pride, shut up tightly as with a seal; one is so near another that no air can come between them; they are joined one to another, they stick together and cannot be parted.”
• “His sneezings flash forth light, and his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning. Out of his mouth go burning lights; sparks of fire shoot out. Smoke goes out of his nostrils, as from a boiling pot and burning rushes. His breath kindles coals, and a flame goes out of his mouth.”
• “Though the sword reaches him, it cannot avail; nor does spear, dart, or javelin. He regards iron as straw, and bronze as rotten wood. The arrow cannot make him flee; slingstones become like stubble to him. Darts are regarded as straw; he laughs at the threat of javelins.”
• “On earth there is nothing like him, which is made without fear.”
• Leviathan “played” in the “great and wide sea” (a paraphrase of Psalm 104 verses 25 and 26—get the exact sense by reading them yourself).
• Leviathan is a “reptile [a] that is in the sea.” (Isaiah 27:1) [a] Note: The word translated “reptile” here is the Hebrew word tanniyn. This shows that “Leviathan” was also a “tanniyn” (dragon).
Unlike behemoth, who is huge, Leviathan is ferocious and terrifying. Many references (we have not listed them all) refer to the sea, so Leviathan is probably a sea creature. Although some bibles refer to Leviathan as an alligator or crocodile (and both of these are fierce) neither of these is a sea creature.
They like the water, but they spend much of their time on land. Further, the question “Who can open the doors of his face. . . .” implies that nobody can open Leviathan’s jaws.
Although an alligator’s jaws cannot normally be forced open, a punch to their sensitive snout or poke in eye might startle them enough to release their grip. Although this is a good description of an alligator characteristic, it does not fit perfectly with the description of Leviathan, which in the context of the Bible was supposed to describe an essentially impossible event, and I am not done yet.
The description of the scales is interesting. Several verses describe these great scales. Compared to Leviathan’s armor, iron is like straw and arrows ca not make it flee. Let’s face it, an arrow can do a lot of damage to a crocodile or alligator. This is not a description of either of them—or any living animal we are aware of
Oka this is the cool part – one of my students years ago said this was the coolest part of Apologetics Class LOL J
Here it is !!
And now for the key ingredient: fire. It is hard to read Job 41:18-21 without realizing the Bible is telling us that Leviathan breathes fire. That alone will eliminate almost every living animal.
However believe it or not, there is one animal like that in today’s world. It is called a bombardier beetle. This beetle is a native of Central America, and has a nozzle in its hind end that acts like a little flame thrower. It sprays a high-temperature jet of gas (fueled by hydroquinones and hydrogen peroxide with oxidative enzymes) for protection.
Therefore, if a Central American beetle can do it, so could Leviathan. By the way, crocodiles and alligators are out of the picture on this one they do NOT breathe fire !!
Before we leave the topic of fire, there are two more notes you may find interesting:
• The history of every culture is filled with stories of fire-breathing dragons. If you think about it, in all the past ages wouldn’t someone have made up a story of a fire-breathing lion or something?
• Nobody did because the dragon stories are based on truth, and only “dragons” breathed fire. It is easy to imagine Leviathan as a member of the dragon (tanniyn) family. (Plus, Isaiah 27:1 strongly implies this connection.)
• Many fossil dinosaur skulls contain unexplained, empty passages. Scientists have not been able to guess the reason for these passages. Would it make sense that some dinosaurs used these passages as “gas tanks” for the combustible mixture used to “breathe fire
• Comparing all this information to the description in your kid’s dinosaur book, you may come up with the conclusion that Leviathan is a kronosaurus.
• The Accuracy of the Bible
Some people believe that the Bible is not a scientifically accurate book, and that it is only a “spiritual book,” that forgot about dinosaurs or described them incorrectly. This is not the case.
Christianity is NOT a blind faith. The Bible and Christianity have been proven to be true time and time again.
Last but not least, to those parents out there who have little ones with dinosaur books … it might be fun to share this information with them.
Just a thought : )
I am planning a few more Apologetic Blogs if you have ANY questions I would LOVE to Blog those … I have tons of Apologetic information it’hard to decide what to share with you all !
God bless you always !!
The first appearance of Jesus was to Mary Magdalene.…Now when she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus. Jesus said to her, ‘Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?’ She, supposing him to be the gardener, said to him, ‘Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away.’ Jesus said to her, ‘Mary!’ She turned and said to him, ‘Rabboni!’ (which is to say, Teacher) (John 20:14-16).
Mary The Mother Of James, Salome, And Joanna … Jesus also appeared to these three women. This happened after the appearance to Mary Magdalene. After an angel told them Jesus had risen, they were on their way to tell Jesus’ disciples when they met the risen Christ
And behold, Jesus met them and greeted them. And they came up and took hold of his feet and worshiped him (Matthew 28:9).
How many people like to share embarrassing details about themselves?
The odds are not many, however in the New Testament the writers wrote many embaressing details – MORE PROOF / EVIDENCE that the New Testament was not made up but FACTUAL account of what actually happened !!
One of my favorite Christian Apologists, Frank Turek explains why the Gospel accounts must be true: no one seeking to spread a new religion would have made up the many embarrassing things about the disciples with which the Gospels are filled.
When I first heard famous apologist, Frank Turek speak about this I found it very interesting. Over the years in teaching Apologetics, my students really seemed to like this evidence as well.
In my last blog I wrote about Jesus’ Resurrection Evidence- in this blog we will be focusing on the New Testament embarrassing details that would NOT be made up by anyone IF they were creating a “new religion”
Since the New Testament documents are filled with embarrassing details, we can be reasonably certain that they are telling the truth.
Notice that the disciples frequently depict themselves as “not understanding” Jesus the Messiah. They fail to understand what Jesus is saying several times, and don’t understand what His mission is about until after the resurrection.
- Peter, one of the disciples is called “Satan byJesus: “Get behind me Satan!”
- After Jesus asks them to stay up and pray with him during his greatest hour of need, the disciples fall asleep on Jesus not once, but twice!
- Then, after pledging to be faithful to the end, Peter denies Christ three times, and all but one of them run away.
- The disciples who were scared and somewhat skeptical at the time make no effort to give Jesus a proper burial.
Instead they wrote that a member of the Sanhedrin; the Jewish ruling body that sentenced Jesus to die on the cross is the noble & honorable one —Joseph of Arimathea buries Jesus in a Jewish tomb (which would have been easy for the Jews to refute if it wasn’t true).Please Note: Joseph of Arimathea played an important role in the burial of Jesus Christ. His account can be found in each of the four Gospels: Matthew 27:57–60; Mark 15:42–46; Luke 23:50–53; and John 19:38–42. He is called “Joseph of Arimathea” because “he came from the Judean town of Arimathea” (Luke 23:51) and to distinguish him from other Josephs in the Bible.While there is not much information in the Bible about Joseph of Arimathea, there are certain things we can glean from the text. In Luke 23:50, we learn that Joseph was actually a part of the Council, or Sanhedrin—the group of Jewish religious leaders who called for Jesus’ crucifixion. However, as we read on to verse 51, we see that Joseph was opposed to the Council’s decision and was in fact a secret follower of Jesus (see also Mark 15:43). Joseph was a wealthy man (Matthew 27:57), although the source of his wealth is unknown. In addition, the Bible refers to Joseph as a “good and upright man” (Luke 23:50).After Jesus’ death on the cross, Joseph, at great risk to himself and his reputation, went to the Roman governor Pilate to request Jesus’ body. Nicodemus, the Pharisee who had visited Jesus at night to ask questions about God’s Kingdom (John 19:39; cf. John 3), accompanied Joseph. The two men were granted custody of Jesus’ body, and they immediately began to prepare the body for burial. Following Jewish custom, they wrapped the body in strips of linen and mixed in myrrh and aloe. However, it was the Day of Preparation—the sixth day of the week, just before the Jewish Sabbath—and it was late in the day. So Joseph and Nicodemus hurriedly placed Jesus in Joseph’s own tomb, located in a garden near the place of Jesus’ crucifixion.
** Joseph and Nicodemus, did not realize at the time but their choice to put Jesus in Joseph’s tomb fulfilled Isaiah’s prophecy spoken hundreds of years before Jesus’ death: “He was assigned a grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death, though he had done no violence, nor was any deceit in his mouth” (Isaiah 53:9, emphasis added). This is one of the many prophecies that have confirmed Jesus’ identity as the Messiah and Son of God.
The day after Jesus’ burial, the chief priests and Pharisees went to Pilate to request that the stone Joseph had placed in front of the tomb be sealed, and a guard posted, for three days. They cited Jesus’ assertion that He would rise after three days and claimed the disciples might attempt to steal the body in order to fabricate a resurrection (Matthew 27:63–64). Subsequently, Jesus rose from the dead on the third day, just as He had predicted (Matthew 28).
- While the disciples are still hiding in fear of their lives after Jesus was crucified , the women go down and discover the empty tomb and the risen Jesus. Ironically, during this time woman were not considered a reliable source; as they were not allowed to sit on a jury so they needed to find the men to show them and when they did they were in disbelief at first. The women looked heroic and Jesus’ disciples looked skeptical
There are other events in the New Testament documents concerning Jesus that are also unlikely to be made up. For example, Jesus:
- Is considered “out of his mind” by his own family who come to seize him to take him home (Mk 3:21,31).
- Is deserted by many of his followers after he says that followers must eat his flesh and drink his blood. (John 6:66).
- Is not believed by his own brothers (John 7:5). (Disbelief turned to belief after the resurrection—the Jewish historian Josephus tells us that Jesus’ brother James died a martyr as the leader of the church in Jerusalem in A.D. 62).
- Is thought to be a deceiver (John 7:12).
- Jewish Religious leaders ( Pharisees) want to stone him (John 8:30-59).
- Is called a “madman” (John 10:20).
- Is called a “drunkard” (Mt. 11:19).
- Is called “demon-possessed” (Mk 3:22, Jn 7:20, 8:48).
- Has his feet wiped with hair of a prostitute which easily could have been seen as a sexual advance (Lk 7:36-39).
- Is crucified despite the fact that “anyone who is hung on a tree is under God’s curse” (Deut 21:23).
IF you’re inventing a Messiah to the Jews, you don’t say such things about him. You also don’t admit that some of you “still doubted” Jesus had really risen from the dead, especially while he’s standing right in front of you giving the great commission (Mt. 28:17-19).
Finally, anyone trying to pass off a false resurrection story as the truth you would NEVER say the women were the first witnesses at the empty tomb. In the first century, a woman’s testimony was not considered on par with that of a man. An invented story would say that the men—the brave men—had discovered the empty tomb. Yet all four gospels say the women were the first witnesses—
In light of these embarrassing details—along with the fact that the New Testament documents contain early, eyewitness testimony for which the writers gave their lives—it takes more faith to believe that the New Testament writers were not telling the truth.
Historical Individuals in history books are also in the Bible
Throughout the life of Jesus, Tiberius was the Emperor of Rome. He was the second Roman Emperor, after Augustus who died in 14 AD.Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judaea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip tetrarch of Ituraea and of the region of Trachonitis, and Lysanias the tetrarch of Abilene, Annas and Caiaphas being the high priests, the word of God came unto John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness.”
– Luke 3:1-2
And they send unto him certain of the Pharisees and of the Herodians, to catch him in his words. And when they were come, they say unto him, Master, we know that thou art true, and carest for no man: for thou regardest not the person of men, but teachest the way of God in truth: Is it lawful to give tribute to Caesar, or not? Shall we give, or shall we not give? But he, knowing their hypocrisy, said unto them, Why tempt ye me? bring me a penny, that I may see it. And they brought it. And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? And they said unto him, Caesar’s. And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s. And they marvelled at him.
“And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King! But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered, We have no king but Caesar. Then delivered he him therefore unto them to be crucified. And they took Jesus, and led him away.”
Caesar Augustus was born Gaius Octavius on September 23, 63 B.C., in Velletri, Italy. Julius Caesar, his great-uncle, took an interest in Augustus. When Julius Caesar was murdered, Augustus discovered that he was Julius’s heir to the throne. Before Augustus could gain the throne, however, he was forced to battle the armies of both Cleopatra VII and Marc Antony, who had their own plans for power following Julius Caesar’s death. Augustus was victorious, and during his rule as Egypt’s first Roman emperor, the country was peaceful and prosperous under his rule. Augustus died on August 19, 14 A.D., in Nola.
If you have ANY questions that you have been asked about Christianity I would LOVE to respond. I am NOT an expert by any means, but this is something I am passionate about and have been studying for over 7 years and teaching.
In John 20:28 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”
If Thomas who walked with Jesus and was one of His twelve disciples needed evidence – we can understand why someone today would need evidence too !! As Christians, we are Christ’s ambassadors – 1 Peter 3:15 is the Apologetics verse – Peter tells us answer questions to anyone who asks us with gentleness and respect
1 Peter 3:15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,
Two witnesses to the same event are better than one. In a similar way, three witnesses are better than two, especially if they agree on their observations in spite of their individual peculiarities or differences.
Furthermore, multiple witnesses from diverse ethnic, social, economic or demographic backgrounds and these witnesses generally agree on what they say occurred, brings forth amazing evidence.
That’s why the diverse accounts related to the Resurrection of Jesus are particularly important in assessing the validity of these claims. Take a look at a brief list of the Resurrection sightings:
- Jesus first appeared to Mary Magdalene in the garden shortly after His Resurrection. (Mark 16:9; John 20:11-18)
- Jesus appeared to the women returning from the empty tomb. (Matthew 28:8-10)
- Jesus appeared to two disciples (Cleopas and another) on the road to Emmaus. (Mark 16:12,13; Luke 24:13-35)
- Jesus appeared to Peter. (Luke 24:34, 1 Corinthians 15:5)
- Jesus appeared to his disciples, in Jerusalem, while Thomas was absent. (Mark 16:14-18; Luke 24:36-49; John 20:19-23)
- Jesus again appeared to his disciples, in Jerusalem. This time Thomas was present. (John 20:24-29)
- Jesus appeared to his disciples (Simon Peter, Thomas called Didymus, Nathanael from Cana in Galilee, Zebedee’s sons and two other of his disciples), on the shore of the Sea of Galilee. (John 21:1,2)
- Jesus was seen by 500 believers at one time. (1 Corinthians 15:6)
- Jesus appeared to James. (1 Corinthians 15:7)
- Jesus appeared to his disciples on a mountain in Galilee. (Matthew 28:16-20)
- Jesus appeared to the believers in Jerusalem for forty days after the Resurrection. (Acts 1:1-11)
- Jesus appeared to His disciples, blessed them, and ascended into heaven. (Luke 24:50-53)
- Jesus also appeared to Paul, on the road to Damascus. (Acts 9:3-6; 1 Corinthians 15:8)
If you examine these accounts closely, you’ll be impressed by the diversity of the claims:
Jesus Appeared to Groups of Diverse Size
Jesus appeared after the Resurrection to single eyewitnesses, to small groups and to huge crowds.
Jesus Appeared at Diverse Locations and Times
Jesus appeared in enclosed rooms and open areas; in the region of Jerusalem, Galilee and well beyond. He appeared at night and at various times of the day.
Jesus Appeared to People of Diverse Status
Jesus appeared to people he knew well and to people he didn’t know well at all. He appeared to those in His inner circle, to those less connected and to complete strangers. Some were devout followers, some were more skeptical (James) and some were in complete denial (Paul). These witnesses were from nearly every social / economic group.
Jesus Appeared for Diverse Purposes
Jesus appeared for a variety of purposes. To many He simply wanted to demonstrate His Deity and Resurrection power. With others He ate a meal or had an important conversation. He appeared to Peter to comfort and challenge him and to Paul to call him away from his murderous mission.
Jesus Appeared for Periods of Time
Jesus appeared and stayed with the eyewitnesses for different lengths of time. Some of his appearances were little more than a few minutes, others for hours. He stayed with the believers in Jerusalem for forty days.
Jesus’ Appearances Were Recorded By Diverse Authors
Jesus’ Resurrection appearances were recorded by people from a variety of backgrounds. Two were direct eyewitnesses, two were close associates of the eyewitnesses. Some were better educated than others. One was a doctor, one a tax collector, one a fisherman.
The diversity of the Resurrection appearances ought to give us confidence in their reliability. The Resurrection is not a work of fiction written by a single author or observed by a single witness in a single location at a single time of day or night. Instead, the appearances were recorded by a variety of authors and occurred in front of a diverse set of eyewitnesses in assorted locations and times. The expansive and differing aspects of these sightings ought to give us increased confidence in the authenticity and reliability of the accounts.
Many atheists and disbelievers of Christianity claim the story of Jesus Christ was borrowed from earlier pagan gods. In recent years, a claim has been making the rounds that Jesus is based on the Egyptian god, Horus. was Horus?
Horus is one of the oldest recorded deities in the ancient Egyptian religion. Often depicted as a falcon or a man with a falcon head, Horus was believed to be the god of the sun and of war. Initially he appeared as a local god, but over time the ancient Egyptians came to believe the reigning pharaoh was a manifestation of Horus (cf. Encyclopedia Britannica, “Horus”).
There are a number of people claiming that the accounts of Jesus as recorded in the New Testament are simply myths borrowed from pagan folklore, such as the stories of Osiris, Dionysus, Adonis, Attis, and Mithras.
The claim is that these myths are essentially the same story as the New Testament’s narrative of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. As Dan Brown claims in The Da Vinci Code, “Nothing in Christianity is original.”
To discover the TRUTH about the claim that the Gospel writers borrowed from mythology, it is important to
(1) unearth the history behind the assertions,
(2) examine the actual portrayals of the false gods being compared to Christ,
(3) expose any logical fallacies being made, and
(4) look at why the New Testament Gospels are trustworthy depictions of the true and historical Jesus Christ.
This leads us to the next area of investigation—do the mythological gods of antiquity really mirror the person of Jesus Christ? As an example, the Zeitgeist movie makes these claims about the Egyptian god Horus:
- He was born on December 25 of a virgin: Isis Mary
Jesus was NOT born on December 25
First, we know that shepherds were in the fields watching their flocks at the time of Jesus’ birth (Luke 2:7-8).
Shepherds were not in the fields during December. According to Celebrations: The Complete Book of American Holidays, Luke’s account “suggests that Jesus may have been born in summer or early fall. Since December is cold and rainy in Judea, it is likely the shepherds would have sought shelter for their flocks at night” (p. 309).
Similarly, The Interpreter’s One-Volume Commentary says this passage argues “against the birth [of Christ] occurring on Dec. 25 since the weather would not have permitted” shepherds watching over their flocks in the fields at night.
Second, Jesus’ parents came to Bethlehem to register in a Roman census (Luke 2:1-4).
Such censuses were not taken in winter, when temperatures often dropped below freezing and roads were in poor condition. Taking a census under such conditions would have been self-defeating.
Given the difficulties and the desire to bring pagans into Christianity, “the important fact then … to get clearly into your head is that the fixing of the date as December 25th was a compromise with paganism” (William Walsh, The Story of Santa Klaus, 1970, p. 62).
If Jesus Christ wasn’t born on December 25, does the Bible indicate when He was born?
The biblical accounts point to the fall of the year as the most likely time of Jesus’ birth, based on the conception and birth of John the Baptist.
Since Elizabeth (John’s mother) was in her sixth month of pregnancy when Jesus was conceived (Luke 1:24-36), we can determine the approximate time of year Jesus was born if we know when John was born. John’s father, Zacharias, was a priest serving in the Jerusalem temple during the course of Abijah (Luke 1:5). Historical calculations indicate this course of service corresponded to June 13-19 in that year ( The Companion Bible, 1974, Appendix 179, p. 200).
It was during this time of temple service that Zacharias learned that he and his wife Elizabeth would have a child (Luke 1:8-13). After he completed his service and traveled home, Elizabeth conceived (Luke 1:23-24). Assuming John’s conception took place near the end of June, adding nine months brings us to the end of March as the most likely time for John’s birth. Adding another six months (the difference in ages between John and Jesus) brings us to the end of September as the likely time of Jesus’ birth.
- A star in the East proclaimed his arrival
- Three kings came to adore the newborn “savior”
We assume that there were three wise men because of the three gifts that were given: gold, incense, and myrrh (Matthew 2:11). However, the Bible does NOT say there were only three wise men. There could have been many more.
It is a common misconception that the wise men visited Jesus at the stable on the night of His birth. In fact, the wise men came days, months, or possibly even years later. That is why Matthew 2:11 says the wise men visited and worshiped Jesus in a house, not at the stable.
We know that the magi were wise men from “the East,” most likely Persia, or modern-day Iran. This means the wise men traveled 800 to 900 miles to see the Christ child. Most likely, the magi knew of the writings of the prophet Daniel, who in time past had been the chief of the court seers in Persia. Daniel 9:24-27 includes a prophecy which gives a timeline for the birth of the Messiah. Also, the magi may have been aware of the prophecy of Balaam (who was from the town of Pethor on the Euphrates River near Persia) in Numbers 24:17. Balaam’s prophecy specifically mentions a “star coming out of Jacob.”
The wise men were guided to look for the King of the Jews by a miraculous stellar event, the “Star of Bethlehem,” which they called “His star” (Matthew 2:2). They consulted with King Herod in Jerusalem concerning the birth of Christ and were directed to Bethlehem (Matthew 2:4-8). They followed God’s guidance joyfully (Matthew 2:10). Their gifts for Jesus were costly, and they worshiped Him. God warned them in a dream against returning to Herod, so, in defiance of the king, they left Judea by another route (Matthew 2:12).
So, the magi were men who 1) read and believed God’s Word, 2) sought Jesus, 3) recognized the worth of Christ, 4) humbled themselves to worship Jesus, and 5) obeyed God rather than man. They were truly wise men!
- He became a child prodigy teacher at age 12
- At age 30 he was “baptized” and began a “ministry”
- Horus had twelve “disciples”
- Horus was betrayed
- He was crucified
Ironically, Crucifixion was invented by the Roman Empire for use of capital punishment. It was not even thought of or used until the time of the Romans.
- He was buried for three days
- He was resurrected after three days
However, when the actual writings about Horus are competently examined, this is what we find:
- Horus was born to Isis; there is no mention in history of her being called “Mary.” Moreover, “Mary” is our Anglicized form of her real name, Miryam or Miriam. “Mary” was not even used in the original texts of Scripture.
- Isis was not a virgin; she was the widow of Osiris and conceived Horus with Osiris.
- Horus was born during month of Khoiak (Oct/Nov), not December 25. Further, there is no mention in the Bible as to Christ’s actual birth date.
- There is no record of three kings visiting Horus at his birth. The Bible never states the actual number of magi that came to see Christ.
- Horus is not a “savior” in any way; he did not die for anyone.
- There are no accounts of Horus being a teacher at the age of 12.
- Horus was not “baptized.” The only account of Horus that involves water is one story where Horus is torn to pieces, with Isis requesting the crocodile god to fish him out of the water.
- Horus did not have a “ministry.”
- Horus did not have 12 disciples. According to the Horus accounts, Horus had four demigods that followed him, and there are some indications of 16 human followers and an unknown number of blacksmiths that went into battle with him.
- There is no account of Horus being betrayed by a friend.
- Horus did not die by crucifixion. There are various accounts of Horus’ death, but none of them involve crucifixion.
- There is no account of Horus being buried for three days.
- Horus was not resurrected. There is no account of Horus coming out of the grave with the body he went in with. Some accounts have Horus/Osiris being brought back to life by Isis and then becoming the lord of the underworld.
When compared side by side, Jesus and Horus bear little, if any, resemblance to one another.
Jesus is also compared to Mithras by those claiming that Jesus Christ is a myth. All the above descriptions of Horus are applied to Mithras (e.g., born of a virgin, being crucified, rising in three days, etc.). But what does the Mithras myth actually say?
- He was born out of a solid rock, not from any woman.
- He battled first with the sun and then with a primeval bull, thought to be the first act of creation. Mithras killed the bull, which then became the ground of life for the human race.
- Mithras’s birth was celebrated on December 25, along with winter solstice.
- There is no mention of his being a great teacher.
- There is no mention of Mithras having 12 disciples. The idea that Mithras had 12 disciples may have come from a mural in which Mithras is surrounded by the twelve signs of the zodiac.
- Mithras had no bodily resurrection. Rather, when Mithras completed his earthly mission, he was taken to paradise in a chariot, alive and well. The early Christian writer Tertullian did write about Mithraic cultists re-enacting resurrection scenes, but this occurred well after New Testament times, so if any copycatting was done, it was Mithraism copying Christianity.
More examples can be given of Krishna, Attis, Dionysus, and other mythological gods, but the result is the same. In the end, the historical Jesus portrayed in the Bible is unique. The alleged similarities of Jesus’ story to pagan myths are greatly exaggerated. Further, while tales of Horus, Mithras, and others pre-date Christianity, there is very little historical record of the pre-Christian beliefs of those religions. The vast majority of the earliest writings of these religions date from the third and fourth centuries A.D. To assume that the pre-Christian beliefs of these religions (of which there is no record) were identical to their post-Christian beliefs is naive. It is more logical to attribute any similarities between these religions and Christianity to the religions’ copying Christian teaching about Jesus.
This leads us to the next area to examine: the logical fallacies committed by those claiming that Christianity borrowed from pagan mystery religions. We’ll consider two fallacies in particular: the fallacy of the false cause and the terminological fallacy.
If one thing precedes another, some conclude that the first thing must have caused the second. This is the fallacy of the false cause. A rooster may crow before the sunrise every morning, but that does not mean the rooster causes the sun to rise. Even if pre-Christian accounts of mythological gods closely resembled Christ (and they do not), it does not mean they caused the Gospel writers to invent a false Jesus.
The terminological fallacy occurs when words are redefined to prove a point. For example, the Zeitgeist movie says that Horus “began his ministry,” but the word ministry is being redefined. Horus had no actual “ministry”—nothing like that of Christ’s ministry. Those claiming a link between Mithras and Jesus talk about the “baptism” that initiated prospects into the Mithras cult, but what was it actually? Mithraic priests would place initiates into a pit, suspend a bull over the pit, and slit the bull’s stomach, covering the initiates in blood and gore. Such a practice bears no resemblance whatsoever to Christian baptism—a person going under water (symbolizing the death of Christ) and then coming back out of the water (symbolizing Christ’s resurrection). But advocates of a mythological Jesus deceptively use the same term, “baptism,” to describe both rites in hopes of linking the two.
This brings us to the subject of the truthfulness of the New Testament. No other work of antiquity has more evidence to its historical veracity than the New Testament. The New Testament has more writers (nine), better writers, and earlier writers than any other existing document from that era. Further, history testifies that these writers went to their deaths claiming that Jesus had risen from the dead.
While some may die for a lie they think is true, no person dies for a lie he knows to be false. Think about it—if you were threatened with crucifixion, as tradition says happened to the apostle Peter, and all you had to do to save your life was renounce a lie you had knowingly told, what would you do?
People died as martyrs for their belief in Jesus Christ then and now – Nobody died for any pagan god ~
PETER and PAUL were both martyred in Rome about 66 AD, during the persecution under Emperor Nero. Paul was beheaded. Peter was crucified, upside down at his request, since he did not feel he was worthy to die in the same manner as his Lord.
ANDREW went to the “land of the man-eaters,” in what is now the Soviet Union. Christians there claim him as the first to bring the gospel to their land. He also preached in Asia Minor, modern-day Turkey, and in Greece, where he is said to have been crucified.
“Doubting” THOMAS was probably most active in the area east of Syria. Tradition has him preaching as far east as India, where the ancient Marthoma Christians revere him as their founder. They claim that he died there when pierced through with the spears of four soldiers.
PHILIP possibly had a powerful ministry in Carthage in North Africa and then in Asia Minor, where he converted the wife of a Roman proconsul. In retaliation the proconsul had Philip arrested and cruelly put to death.
MATTHEW the tax collector and writer of a Gospel, ministered in Persia and Ethiopia. Some of the oldest reports say he was not martyred, while others say he was stabbed to death in Ethiopia.
BARTHOLOMEW had widespread missionary travels attributed to him by tradition: to India with Thomas, back to Armenia, and also to Ethiopia and Southern Arabia. There are various accounts of how he met his death as a martyr for the gospel.
JAMES the son of Alpheus, is one of at least three James referred to in the New Testament. There is some confusion as to which is which, but this James is reckoned to have ministered in Syria. The Jewish historian Josephus reported that he was stoned and then clubbed to death.
SIMON THE ZEALOT, so the story goes, ministered in Persia and was killed after refusing to sacrifice to the sun god.
MATTHIAS was the apostle chosen to replace Judas. Tradition sends him to Syria with Andrew and to death by burning.
JOHN is the only one of the company generally thought to have died a natural death from old age. He was the leader of the church in the Ephesus area and is said to have taken care of Mary the mother of Jesus in his home. During Domitian’s persecution in the middle 90’s, he was exiled to the island of Patmos. There he is credited with writing the last book of the New Testament–the Revelation. An early Latin tradition has him escaping unhurt after being cast into boiling oil at Rome.
In addition, history has shown that it takes at least two generations to pass before myth can enter a historical account. That’s because, as long as there are eyewitnesses to an event, errors can be refuted and mythical embellishments can be exposed. All the Gospels of the New Testament were written during the lifetime of the eyewitnesses, with some of Paul’s Epistles being written as early as A.D. 50. Paul directly appeals to contemporary eyewitnesses to verify his testimony (1 Corinthians 15:6).
The New Testament attests to the fact that, in the first century, Jesus was not mistaken for any other god. When Paul preached in Athens, the elite thinkers of that city said, “‘He seems to be a proclaimer of strange deities,’—because he was preaching Jesus and the resurrection. And they took him and brought him to the Areopagus, saying, ‘May we know what this new teaching is which you are proclaiming? For you are bringing some strange things to our ears; so we want to know what these things mean’” (Acts 17:18–20, NASB). Clearly, if Paul were simply rehashing stories of other gods, the Athenians would not have referred to his doctrine as a “new” and “strange” teaching. If dying-and-rising gods were plentiful in the first century, why, when the apostle Paul preached Jesus rising from the dead, did the Epicureans and Stoics not remark, “Ah, just like Horus and Mithras”?
In conclusion, the claim that Jesus is a copy of mythological gods originated with authors whose works have been discounted by academia, contain logical fallacies, and cannot compare to the New Testament Gospels, which have withstood nearly 2,000 years of intense scrutiny. The alleged parallels between Jesus and other gods disappear when the original myths are examined. The Jesus-is-a-myth theory relies on selective descriptions, redefined words, and false assumptions.
Jesus Christ is unique in history, with His voice rising above all false gods’ as He asks the question that ultimately determines a person’s eternal destiny: “Who do you say I am?” (Matthew 16:15).
There will be more Apologetics on Jesus coming soon 😊
The focus of this topic is to look at the probability of Christ fulfilling 365 prophecies in the Old Testament.
Those of you who LOVE math you will appreciate it. I am fascinated but numbers “blow my mind” LOL !!
So, what is probability? Probability, also known as “odds“, is a branch of mathematics that measures the likelihood that a given event will occur. To begin, let’s look at some interesting “odds”:
- Being struck by lightning in a year = 7 x 105 or 1 in 700,000
- Being killed by lightning in a year = 2 x 106 or 1 in 2,000,000
- Becoming president = 1 x 107 or 1 in 10,000,000
- A meteorite landing on your house = 1.8 x 1014 or 1 in 180,000,000,000,000
- You will eventually die = 1 in 1
As you can see, the probability of being struck or killed by lightning, becoming president, or having a meteorite land on your house, progressively increases, given the event; however, someone somewhere will be that 1 in 10x, and that someone could be you.
To answer the question, “what is the probability of one man fulfilling only eight prophecies”, the principal of probability is applied.
Therefore, multiplying all eight probabilities together (1 times 2.8 x 105 x 103 x 102 x 103 x 103 x 105 x 103 x 104) gives us 2.8 x 1028, or for simplicity sake 1 x 1028 or 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.
We just looked at the probability of Jesus fulfilling on eight prophesies – in reality he fulfilled 365 … Jesus Our Lord and Savior – Evidence that He IS the Messiah …
“Wonderful Counselor, Prince of Peace, Mighty God, Holy Lord, Emmanuel ”
365 Messianic Prophecies
- Genesis 3:15…..Seed of a woman (virgin birth)…..Luke 1:35, Matthew 1:18-20
- Genesis 3:15…..He will bruise Satan’s head…..Hebrews 2:14, 1 John 3:8
- Genesis 5:24….The bodily ascension to heaven illustrated….Mark 6:19
- Genesis 9:26-27…The God of Shem will be the Son of Shem…Luke 3:36
- Genesis 12:3…As Abraham’s seed, will bless all nations…Acts 3:25,26
- Genesis 12:7…The The Promise made made to Abraham’s Seed…Galatians 3:16
- Genesis 14:18…A priest after Melchizedek…Hebrews 6:20
- Genesis 14:18……..A King also……..Hebrews 7:2
- Genesis 14:18…The Last Supper foreshadowed…Matthew 26:26-29
- Genesis 17:19…….The Seed of Isaac…….Romans. 9:7
- Genesis 21:12 …Seed of Isaac…Romans 9:7, Hebrews 11:18
- Genesis 22:8…The Lamb of God promised…John 1:29
- Genesis 22:18…As Isaac’s seed, will bless all nations…Galatians 3:16
- Genesis26:2-5..The Seed of Isaac promised as the Redeemer..Hebrews11:18
- Genesis 49:10…The time of His coming…Luke 2:1-7; Galatians 4:4
- Genesis 49:10…….The Seed of Judah…….Luke 3:33
- Genesis 49:10……Called Shiloh or One Sent……John 17:3
- Genesis 49:10…To come before Judah lost identity…John 11:47-52
- Genesis 49:10…To Him shall the obedience of the people be…John 10:16
- Exodus 3:13,14……..The Great “I Am”…….John 4:26
- Exodus 12:5…A Lamb without blemish…1 Pet. 1:19
- Exodus 12:13…The blood of the Lamb saves Romans wrath…Romans. 5:8
- Exodus 12:21-27…Christ is our Passover…1 Corinthians 5;7
- Exodus 12:46…Not a bone of the Lamb to be broken…John 19:31-36
- Exodus 13:2…Blessing to first born son…Luke 2:23
- Exodus 15:2…His exaltation predicted as Yeshua…Acts 7:55,56
- Exodus 15:11…His Character-Holiness…Luke 1:35; Acts 4:27
- Exodus 17:6…The Spiritual Rock of Israel…1 Corinthians 10;4
- Exodus 33:19…His Character-Merciful…Luke 1:72
- Leviticus14:11…The leper cleansed-Sign to priesthood..Luke5:12-14; Acts 6:7
- Leviticus16:15-17…Prefigures Christ’s once-for-all death…Hebrews 9:7-14
- Leviticus16:27…Suffering outside the Camp…Matthew 27:33; Hebrews 13:11, 12
- Leviticus17:11…The Blood-the life of the flesh…Matthew 26;28; Mark 10:45
- Leviticus17:11…It is the blood that makes atonement…1 John 3:14-18
- Leviticus23:36-37…The Drink-offering: “If any man thirst.” ..John 19:31-36
- Numbers 9:12…Not a bone of Him broken…John 19:31-36
- Numbers 21:9…The serpent on a pole-Christ lifted up…John 3:14-18
- Numbers 24:8… Flight to Egypt…Matthew 2:14
- Numbers 24:17…Time: “I shall see him, but not now.”…Galatians 4:4
- Numbers 24:17-19…A star out of Jacob…Matthew 2:2, Luke 1:33,78, Revelation 22:16
- Deuteronomy 18:15…”This is of a truth that prophet.”…John 6:14
- Deuteronomy 18:15-16…”Had ye believed Moses, ye would believe me.”…John 5:45-47
- Deuteronomy 18:18…Sent by the Father to speak His word…John 8:28, 29
- Deuteronomy 18:19…Whoever will not hear must bear his sin…John 12:15
- Deuteronomy 21:13-23…As a prophet…John 6:14; 7:40, Acts 3:22,23
- Deuteronomy 21:23…Cursed is he that hangs on a tree…Galatians 3:10-13
- Ruth 4:4-9…Christ, our kinsman, has redeemed us…Ephesians 1:3-7
- 1 Samuel 2:10…Shall be an anointed King to the Lord…Matthew 28:18; John 12:15
- 2 Samuel 7:12…David’s Seed…Matthew 1:1
- 2 Samuel 7:14a…The Son of God… Luke 1:32
- 2 Samuel 7:16…David’s house established forever…Luke 3:31; Rev. 22:16
- 2 Samuel 23:2-4…would be the “Rock”…1 Corinthians 10:4
- 2 Samuel 23:2-4…would be as the “light of the morning”…Revelation 22:16
- 2 Kings 2:11…The bodily ascension to heaven illustrated…Luke 24:51
- 1 Chronicles 17:11…David’s Seed…Matthew 1:1; 9:27
- 1 Chronicles 17:12, 13a…To reign on David’s throne forever…Luke 1:32, 33
- 1 Chronicles 17:13a…”I will be His Father, He…my Son.”…Hebrews 1:5
- Job 19:23-27…The Resurrection predicted…John 5:24-29
- Psalms 2:1-3…The enmity of kings foreordained…Acts 4:25-28
- Psalms 2:2…To own the title, Anointed (Christ)…Acts 2:36
- Psalms 2:6…His Character-Holiness…John 8:46; Rev. 3:7
- Psalms 2:6…To own the title King…Matthew 2:2
- Psalms 2:7…Declared the Beloved Son…Matthew 3:17
- Psalms 2:7, 8…The Crucifixion and Resurrection intimated…Acts 13:29-33
- Psalms 2:12…Life comes through faith in Him…John 20:31
- Psalms 8:2…The mouths of babes perfect His praise…Matthew 21:16
- Psalms 8:5, 6…His humiliation and exaltation…Luke 24:50-53; 1 Corinthians 15:27
- Psalms 16:10…Was not to see corruption…Acts 2:31
- Psalms 16:9-11…Was to arise from the dead…John 20:9
- Psalms 17;15…The resurrection predicted…Luke 24:6
- Psalms 22:1…Forsaken because of sins of others…2 Corinthians 5:21
- Psalms 22:1…Words spoken from Calvary, “My God…” Mark 15:34
- Psalms 22:2…Darkness upon Calvary…Matthew 27:45
- Psalms 22:7…They shoot out the lip and shake the head…Matthew 27:39
- Psalms 22:8..” He trusted in God, let Him deliver Him “…Matthew 27:43
- Psalms 22:9……Born the Savior……Luke 2:7
- Psalms 22:14…Died of a broken (ruptured) heart…John 19:34
- Psalms 22:14,15…Suffered agony on Calvary…Mark 15:34-37
- Psalms 22:15……..He thirsted……..John 19:28
- Psalms 22:16…They pierced His hands and His feet….John 19:34,37;20:27
- Psalms 22:17,18…Stripped Him before the stares of men…Luke 23:34,35
- Psalms 22:18…..They parted His garments…..John 19:23,24
- Psalms 22:20,21…He committed Himself to God…Luke23:46
- Psalms 22:20,21..Satanic power bruising the Redeemer’s heel.. Hebrews 2:14
- Psalms 22:22…..His Resurrection declared…..John 20:17
- Psalms 22:27…He shall be the governor of the nations…Col 1:16
- Psalms 22:31……”It is finished”……John 19:30
- Psalms 23:1….”I am the Good Shepherd”….John 10:11
- Psalms 24:3……His exaltation predicted……Acts 1:11; Phil. 2:9
- Psalms 27:12…Accused by false witnesses…Matthew 26:60,61, Mark 14:57,58
- Psalms 30:3……His resurrection predicted……Acts 2:32
- Psalms 31:5…”Into thy hands I commit my spirit”…Luke 23:46
- Psalms 31:11…His acquaintances fled from Him…Mark 14:50
- Psalms 31:13…They took counsel to put Him to death…John 11:53
- Psalms 31:14,15…” He trusted in God, let Him deliver him”…Matthew 27:43
- Psalms 34:20…..Not a bone of Him broken…..John 19:31-36
- Psalms 35:11….False witnesses rose up against Him….Matthew 26:59
- Psalms 35:19…He was hated without a cause…John 15:25
- Psalms 38:11…..His friends stood afar off…..Luke 23:49
- Psalms 40:2-5…The joy of His resurrection predicted…John 20:20
- Psalms 40:6-8….His delight-the will of the Father….John 4:34
- Psalms 40:9….He was to preach the Righteousness in Israel….Matthew 4:17
- Psalms 40:14…Confronted by adversaries in the Garden…John
- Psalms 41:9…..Betrayed by a familiar friend…..John 13:18
- Psalms 45:2…Words of Grace come from His lips.. Luke 4:22
- Psalms 45:6…To own the title, God or Elohim…Hebrews 1:8
- Psalms 45:7…A special anointing by the Holy Spirit…Matthew3:16; Hebrews1:9
- Psalms 45:7,8…Called the Christ (Messiah or Anointed)…Luke 2:11
- Psalms 49-15…His Resurrection…Acts 2:27; 13:35, Mark 16:6
- Psalms 55:12-14…Betrayed by a friend, not an enemy…John 13:18
- Psalms 55:15…Unrepentant death of the Betrayer…Matthew 27:3-5; Acts 1:16-19
- Psalms 68:18…To give gifts to men…Ephesians 4:7-16
- Psalms 68:18…Ascended into Heaven…Luke 24:51
- Psalms 69:4…Hated without a cause…John 15:25
- Psalms 69:8…A stranger to own brethren…Luke 8;20,21
- Psalms 69:9…Zealous for the Lord’s House…John 2:17
- Psalms 69:14-20…Messiah’s anguish of soul before crucifixion…Matthew 26:36-45
- Psalms 69:20…”My soul is exceeding sorrowful.”…Matthew 26:38
- Psalms 69:21…Given vinegar in thirst…Matthew 27:34
- Psalms 69:26…The Savior given and smitten by God…John 17:4; 18:11
- Psalms 72:10,11…Great persons were to visit Him…Matthew 2:1-11
- Psalms 72:16…The corn of wheat to fall into the Ground…John 12:24
- Psalms 72:17…His name, Yinon, will produce offspring…John 1:12,13
- Psalms 72:17…All nations shall be blessed by Him…Acts 2:11,12,41
- Psalms 78:1.2…He would teach in parables…Matthew 13:34-35
- Psalms 78:2b…To speak the Wisdom of God with authority…Matthew 7:29
- Psalms 88:8…They stood afar off and watched…Luke 23:49
- Psalms 89:26…Messiah will call God His Father…Matthew 11:27
- Psalms 89:27…Emmanuel to be higher than earthly kings…Luke 1:32,33
- Psalms 89:35-37…David’s Seed, throne, kingdom endure forever…Luke 1:32,33
- Psalms 89:36-37…His character-Faithfulness…Rev. 1:5
- Psalms 90:2…He is from everlasting (Micah 5:2)…John 1:1
- Psalms 91:11,12…Identified as Messianic; used to tempt Christ…Luke 4;10,11
- Psalms 97:9…His exaltation predicted…Acts 1:11;Ephesians 1:20
- Psalms 100:5…His character-Goodness…Matthew 19:16,17
- Psalms 102:1-11…The Suffering and Reproach of Calvary…John 21:16-30
- Psalms 102:16…Son of Man comes in Glory…Luke 21:24
- Psalms 102:25-27…Messiah is the Preexistent Son…Hebrews 1:10-12
- Psalms 109:4…Prays for His enemies…Luke 23:34
- Psalms 109:7,8…Another to succeed Judas…Acts 1:16-20
- Psalms 109:25…Ridiculed…Matthew 27:39
- Psalms 110:1…Son of David…Matthew 22:43
- Psalms 110:1…To ascend to the right-hand of the Father…Mark16:19
- Psalms 110:1…David’s son called Lord…Matthew 22:44,45
- Psalms 110:4…A priest after Melchizedek’s order…Hebrews 6:20
- Psalms 112:4…His character-Compassionate, Gracious, et al… Matthew 9;36
- Psalms 118:17,18…Messiah’s Resurrection assured…Luke 24:5-7;1 Corinthians 15:20
- Psalms 118:22,23…The rejected stone is Head of the corner…Matthew 21:42,43
- Psalms 118:26a…The Blessed One presented to Israel…Matthew 21:9
- Psalms 118:26b…To come while Temple standing…Matthew 21;12-15
- Psalms 132:11…The Seed of David (the fruit of His Body)…Luke 1:32
- Psalms 138:1-6…The supremacy of David’s Seed amazes kings… Matthew 2:2-6
- Psalms 147:3,6…The earthly ministry of Christ described…Luke 4:18
- Psalms 1:23…He will send the Spirit of God… John 16;7
- Proverbs 8:22-23…The Messiah would be from everlasting…John 17:5
- Proverbs 30:4…Declared to be the Son of God…John 3:13, Romans 1:2-4, 10:6-9, 2 Peter 1:17
- Song of Solomon 5:16…The altogether lovely One…John 1:17
- Isaiah 2:2-4…Repentance for the nations…Luke 24:47
- Isaiah 4:2…Messiah reigning
- Isaiah 5:1-6…Son of God’s vineyard: a parable of judgment
- Isaiah 6:1…When Isaiah saw His glory… John 12:40-41
- Isaiah 6:9-10…Parables fall on deaf ears…Matthew 13:13-15
- Isaiah 6:9-12…Blinded to Christ and deaf to His words…Acts 28:23-29
- Isaiah 7:14…To be born of a virgin…Luke 1:35
- Isaiah 7:14…To be Emmanuel-God with us… Matthew 1:18-23
- Isaiah 8:8…Called Emmanuel…Matthew 28:20
- Isaiah 8:14…A stone of stumbling, a Rock of offense… 1 Pet. 2:8
- Isaiah 9:1,2…His ministry to begin in Galilee…Matthew 4:12-17
- Isaiah 9:6…A child born-Humanity…Luke 1:31
- Isaiah 9:6…A Son given-Deity…Luke 1:32; John 1;14; 1 Tim. 3:16
- Isaiah 9:6…Declared to be the Son of God with power… Romans. 1:3,4
- Isaiah 9:6…The Wonderful One, Peleh…Luke 4:22
- Isaiah 9:6…The Counselor, Yaatz…Matthew 13:54
- Isaiah 9:6…The Mighty God, El Gibor…Matthew 11:20
- Isaiah 9:6…The Everlasting Father, Avi Adth…John 8:58
- Isaiah 9:6…The Prince of Peace, Sar Shalom…John . 16:33
- Isaiah 9:7…To establish an everlasting kingdom…Luke 1:32-33
- Isaiah 9:7…His Character-Just…John 5:30
- Isaiah 9:7…No end to his Government, Throne, and Peace…Luke 1:32-33
- Isaiah 11:1…Called a Nazarene-the Branch, Netzer…Matthew 2:23
- Isaiah 11:1…A rod out of Jesse-Son of Jesse…Luke 3:23,32
- Isaiah 11:2…The anointed One by the Spirit…Matthew 3;16,17
- Isaiah 11:2…His Character-Wisdom, Understanding, et al….John 4:4-26
- Isaiah 11:4…His Character-Truth…John 14:6
- Isaiah 11:10…The Gentiles seek Him…John 12:18-21
- Isaiah 12:2…Called Jesus-Yeshua (salvation)…Matthew 1:21
- Isaiah 16:4,5…Reigning in mercy…Luke 1:31-33
- Isaiah 22:21-25…Peg in a sure place…Revelation 3:7
- Isaiah 25:8…The Resurrection predicted…I Corinthians 15:54
- Isaiah 26:19…His power of Resurrection predicted…John 11:43,44
- Isaiah 28:16…The Messiah is the precious corner stone…Acts 4:11,12
- Isaiah 29:13…He indicated hypocritical obedience to His Word…Matthew 15:7-9
- Isaiah 29:14…The wise are confounded by the Word…I Corinthians 1:18-31
- Isaiah 32:2…A Refuge-A man shall be a hiding place…Matthew 23:37
- Isaiah 33:22…Son of the Highest…Luke 1:32; 1 Timothy 1:17 6:15
- Isaiah 35:4…He will come and save you…Matthew 1:21
- Isaiah 35:5…To have a ministry of miracles…Matthew 11:4-6
- Isaiah 40:3,4…Preceded by forerunner…John 1:23
- Isaiah 40:9…”Behold your God.”…John 1:36;19:14
- Isaiah 40:11…A shepherd-compassionate life-giver…John 10:10-18
- Isaiah 42:1-4…The Servant-as a faithful, patient redeemer… Matthew12:18-21
- Isaiah 42:2…Meek and lowly… Matthew 11:28-30
- Isaiah 42:3…He brings hope for the hopeless… John 4
- Isaiah 42:4…The nations shall wait on His teachings… John 12:20-26
- Isaiah 42:6…The Light (salvation) of the Gentiles…Luke 2:32
- Isaiah 42:1,6…His is a Worldwide compassion… Matthew 28:19,20
- Isaiah 42:7…Blind eyes opened… John 9:25-38
- Isaiah 42:13-25…Messiah’s actions at His second coming…Revelation
- Isaiah 43:11…He is the only Savior… Acts 4:12
- Isaiah 44:3…He will send the Spirit of God… John 16:7,13
- Isaiah 45:23…He will be the Judge… John 5:22;Romans. 14:11
- Isaiah 48:12…The First and the Last…John 1:30;Rev. 1:8,17
- Isaiah 48:17…He came as a Teacher…John 3:2
- Isaiah 49:1…Called from the womb-His humanity…Matthew 1:18
- Isaiah 49:5…A Servant from the womb…Luke 1:31;Phil. 2:7
- Isaiah 49:6…He is Salvation for Israel…Luke 2:29-32
- Isaiah 49:6…He is the Light of the Gentiles…Acts 13:47
- Isaiah 49:6…He is Salvation unto the ends of the earth… Acts 15:7-18
- Isaiah 49:7…He is despised of the Nation… John 8:48-49
- Isaiah 50:3…Heaven is clothed in black at His humiliation… Luke 23:44,45
- Isaiah 50:4…He is a learned counselor for the weary… Matthew 11:28,29
- Isaiah 50:5…The Servant bound willingly to obedience… Matthew 26:39
- Isaiah 50:6a…”I gave my back to the smiters.”… Matthew 27:26
- Isaiah 50:6b…He was smitten on the cheeks… Matthew 26:67
- Isaiah 50:6c…He was spat upon… Matthew 27:30
- Isaiah 52:4-5…Suffered vicariously…Mark 15:3,4,27,28; Luke 23:1-25,32-34
- Isaiah 52:7…To publish good tidings of peace… Luke 4:14,15
- Isaiah 52:13…The Servant exalted…Acts 1:8-11; Ephesians 1:19-22
- Isaiah 52:13…Behold, My Servant… Matthew 17:5; Phil. 2:5-8
- Isaiah 52:14…The Servant shockingly abused… Luke 18:31-34; Matthew 26:67,68
- Isaiah 52:15…Nations startled by message of the Servant… Romans. 15:18-21
- Isaiah 52:15…His blood shed to make atonement for all… Rev. 1:5
- Isaiah 53:1…His people would not believe Him… John 12:37-38
- Isaiah 53:2a…He would grow up in a poor family…. Luke 2:7
- Isaiah 53:2b…Appearance of an ordinary man… Phil. 2:7-8
- Isaiah 53:3a…Despised…. Luke 4:28-29
- Isaiah 53:3b…Rejected… Matthew 27:21-23
- Isaiah 53:3c…Great sorrow and grief… Luke 19:41-42
- Isaiah 53:3d…Men hide from being associated with Him… Mark 14:50-52
- Isaiah 53:4a…He would have a healing ministry… Luke 6:17-19
- Isaiah 53:4b…He would bear the sins of the world… 1 Pet. 2:24
- Isaiah 53:4c…Thought to be cursed by God… Matthew 27:41-43
- Isaiah 53:5a…Bears penalty for mankind’s transgressions… Luke 23:33
- Isaiah 53:5b…His sacrifice would provide peace between man and God… Col. 1:20
- Isaiah 53:5c…His back would be whipped… Matthew 27:26
- Isaiah 53:6a…He would be the sin-bearer for all mankind…Galatians 1:4
- Isaiah 53:6b…God’s will that He bear sin for all mankind… 1 John 4:10
- Isaiah 53:7a…Oppressed and afflicted… Matthew 27:27-31
- Isaiah 53:7b…Silent before his accusers… Matthew 27:12-14
- Isaiah 53:7c…Sacrificial lamb… John 1:29
- Isaiah 53:8a…Confined and persecuted… Matthew 26:47-27:31
- Isaiah 53:8b…He would be judged… John 18:13-22
- Isaiah 53:8c…Killed…. Matthew 27:35
- Isaiah 53:8d…Dies for the sins of the world… 1 John 2:2
- Isaiah 53:9a…Buried in a rich man’s grave… Matthew 27:57
- Isaiah 53:9b…Innocent and had done no violence… Mark 15:3
- Isaiah 53:9c…No deceit in his mouth… John 18:38
- Isaiah 53:10a…God’s will that He die for mankind… John 18:11
- Isaiah 53:10b…An offering for sin… Matthew 20:28
- Isaiah 53:10c…Resurrected and live forever…. Mark 16:16
- Isaiah 53:10d…He would prosper… John 17:1-5
- Isaiah 53:11a…God fully satisfied with His suffering… John 12:27
- Isaiah 53:11b…God’s servant… Romans. 5:18-19
- Isaiah 53:11c…He would justify man before God… Romans. 5:8-9
- Isaiah 53:11d…The sin-bearer for all mankind… Hebrews 9:28
- Isaiah 53:12a…Exalted by God because of his sacrifice… Matthew 28:18
- Isaiah 53:12b…He would give up his life to save mankind… Luke 23:46
- Isaiah 53:12c…Grouped with criminals… Luke 23:32
- Isaiah 53:12d…Sin-bearer for all mankind… 2 Corinthians 5:21
- Isaiah 53:12e…Intercede to God in behalf of mankind… Luke 23:34
- Isaiah 55:1…Every one come who is thirsty…New Testament
- Isaiah 55:3…Resurrected by God… Acts 13:34
- Isaiah 55:4…A witness… John 18:37
- Isaiah 55:5…Foreign nations come to God…Acts
- Isaiah 59:15-16a…He would come to provide salvation… John 6:40
- Isaiah 59:15-16b…Intercessor between man and God… Matthew 10:32
- Isaiah 59:20…He would come to Zion as their Redeemer… Luke 2:38
- Isaiah 60:1-3…Nations walk in the light…Luke 2:32
- Isaiah 61:1-2a…The Spirit of God upon him… Matthew 3:16-17
- Isaiah 61:1-2b…The Messiah would preach the good news… Luke 4:17-21
- Isaiah 61:1-2c…Provide freedom from the bondage of sin and death… John 8:31-32
- Isaiah 61:1-2…Proclaim a period of grace… John 5:24
- Isaiah 62:1-2…Called by an new name…Luke 2:32, Revelation 3:12
- Isaiah 62:11…Thy King Cometh, Entered Jerusalem on Colt…Matthew 21:7
- Isaiah 63:1-3…A vesture dipped in blood…Revelation 19:13
- Isaiah 63:8,9…Afflicted with the afflicted…Matthew 25:34-40
- Isaiah 65:9…The elect shall inherit…Romans 11 5-7, Hebrews 7:14, Revelation 5:5
- Isaiah 65:17-25…New heaven/New Earth…2 Peter 3:13, Revelation 21:1
- Isaiah 66:18-19…All nations come to God…New Testament
- Jeremiah23:5-6a…Descendant of David…Luke 3:23-31
- Jeremiah 23:5-6b…The Messiah would be God… John 13:13
- Jeremiah 23:5-6c…The Messiah would be both God and Man… 1 Tim. 3:16
- Jeremiah 30:9…Born a King…John 18:37, Revelation 1:5
- Jeremiah 31:15…Massacre of infants…Matthew 2:16-18
- Jeremiah 31:22…Born of a virgin… Matthew 1:18-20
- Jeremiah 31:31…The Messiah would be the new covenant… Matthew 26:28
- Jeremiah 33:14-15…Descendant of David… Luke 3:23-31
- Ezekiel17:22-24…Descendant of David… Luke 3:23-31
- Ezekiel 21:26,27…The humble exalted…Luke 1:52
- Ezekiel34:23-24…Descendant of David… Matthew 1:1
- Daniel 2:34-35…Stone cut without hands…Acts 4:10-12
- Daniel 2:44,45…His Kingdom Triumphant…Luke 1:33, 1 Corinthians 15:24, Revelation 11:15
- Dan. 7:13-14a…He would ascend into heaven… Acts 1:9-11
- Dan. 7:13-14b…Highly exalted… Ephesians 1:20-22
- Dan. 7:13-14c…His dominion would be everlasting… Luke 1:31-33
- Daniel 7:27…Kingdom for the Saints…Luke 1:33, 1 Corinthians 15:24, Revelation 11:15
- Dan. 9:24a…To make an end to sins… Galatians 1:3-5
- Dan. 9:24b…He would be holy… Luke 1:35
- Dan. 9:25…Announced to his people 483 years, to the exact day, after the decree to rebuild the city of Jerusalem… John 12:12-13
- Dan. 9:26a…Killed… Matthew 27:35
- Dan. 9:26b…Die for the sins of the world… Hebrews 2:9
- Dan. 9:26c…Killed before the destruction of the temple… Matthew 27:50-51
- Dan. 10:5-6…Messiah in a glorified state… Rev. 1:13-16
- Hosea 3:5…Israel restored…John 18:37, Romans 11:25-27
- Hosea 11:1, Numbers 24:8…Flight to Egypt…Matthew 2:14
- Hosea 13:14…He would defeat death… 1 Corinthians 15:55-57
- Joel 2:28-32…Promise of the Spirit…Acts 2:17-21, Romans 10:13
- Joel 2:32…Offer salvation to all mankind… Romans. 10:12-13
- Micah 2:12-13…Israel Regathered…John 10:14,26
- Micah 4:1-8…The Kingdom established – place of Birth Bethlehem…Luke 1:33, Matthew 2:1, Luke 2:4,10,11
- Micah 5:2a…Born in Bethlehem… Matthew 2:1-2
- Micah 5:2b…God’s servant… John 15:10
- Micah 5:2c…from everlasting… John 8:58
- Haggai 2:6-9…He would visit the second Temple… Luke 2:27-32
- Haggai 2:23…Descendant of Zerubbabel… Luke 3:23-27
- Joel 2:28-32…Promise of the Spirit…Acts 2:17-21, Romans 10:13
- Amos 8:9…The Sun Darkened…Matthew 24:29, Acts 2:20, Revelation 6:12
- Amos 9:11-12…Restoration of tabernacle…Acts 14:16-18
- Habakkuk 2:14…Earth filled with knowledge of the glory of the Lord…Romans 11:26, Revelation 21:23-26
- Zechariah 2:10-13…The Lamb on the Throne…Revelation 5:13, 6:9, 21:24
- Zechariah 3:8…God’s servant… John 17:4
- Zechariah 6:12-13…Priest and King… Hebrews 8:1
- Zechariah 9:9a…Greeted with rejoicing in Jerusalem… Matthew 21:8-10
- Zechariah 9:9b…Beheld as King… John 12:12-13
- Zechariah 9:9c…The Messiah would be just… John 5:30
- Zechariah 9:9d…The Messiah would bring salvation… Luke 19:10
- Zechariah 9:9e…The Messiah would be humble… Matthew 11:29
- Zechariah 9:9f…Presented to Jerusalem riding on a donkey… Matthew 21:6-9
- Zechariah 10:4…The cornerstone… Ephesians 2:20
- Zechariah 11:4-6a…At His coming, Israel to have unfit leaders… Matthew 23:1-4
- Zechariah 11:4-6b…Rejection causes God to remove His protection.. Luke 19:41-44
- Zechariah 11:4-6c…Rejected in favor of another king… John 19:13-15
- Zechariah 11:7…Ministry to “poor,” the believing remnant… Matthew 9:35-36
- Zechariah 11:8a…Unbelief forces Messiah to reject them… Matthew 23:33
- Zechariah 11:8b…Despised… Matthew 27:20
- Zechariah 11:9…Stops ministering to the those who rejected Him… Matthew 13:10-11
- Zechariah 11:10-11a…Rejection causes God to remove protection… Luke 19:41-44
- Zechariah 11:10-11b…The Messiah would be God… John 14:7
- Zechariah 11:12-13a…Betrayed for thirty pieces of silver… Matthew 26:14-15
- Zechariah 11:12-13b…Rejected… Matthew 26:14-15
- Zechariah 11:12-13c…Thirty pieces of silver thrown into the house of the Lord… Matthew 27:3-5
- Zechariah 11:12-13d…The Messiah would be God… John 12:45
- Zechariah 12:10a…The Messiah’s body would be pierced… John 19:34-37
- Zechariah 12:10b…The Messiah would be both God and man… John 10:30
- Zechariah 12:10c…The Messiah would be rejected… John 1:11
- Zechariah 13:7a…God’s will He die for mankind… John 18:11
- Zechariah 13:7b…A violent death… Matthew 27:35
- Zechariah 13:7c…Both God and man.. John 14:9
- Zechariah 13:7d…Israel scattered as a result of rejecting Him… Matthew 26:31-56
- Malachi 3:1a…Messenger to prepare the way for Messiah… Matthew 11:10
- Malachi 3:1b…Sudden appearance at the temple… Mark 11:15-16
- Malachi 3:1c…Messenger of the new covenant… Luke 4:43
- Malachi 3:3…Our Sins Are Purged…Luke 1:78, John 1:9; 12:46, 2 Peter 1:19, Revelation 2:28; 19:11-16; 22:16
- Malachi 4:5…Forerunner in the spirit of Elijah… Matthew 3:1-2
- Malachi 4:6…Forerunner would turn many to righteousness… Luke 1:16-17